Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Last Time

So this week I had the incredible opportunity to spend a few days on a retreat with co-workers over Thanksgiving. As I thought about all that’s happened over the last year, I knew I had a lot to be thankful for. Some of the things I’ve repeatedly found myself giving thanks for this year are:

-my awesome family that’s been through some rough times this year and yet has been strengthened through it all.
-my graduation that occurred exactly when I’d hoped it would and paved the way for…
-…some great goodbyes and a smooth transition to my new home

At the same time, I’ve been particularly struck by some of the things I’ve been thankful for over the last few weeks that I normally don’t stop to consider. Seriously—I mean:

  • When was the last time I gave thanks for running water?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for hot water?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks that what I ate didn’t make me sick?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for an actual mattress to sleep on?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for the internet that allows me to keep in touch (even if it’s not exactly convenient right now!)?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for a full schedule that puts me in contact with all kinds of incredible people?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for co-workers that so desire to encourage me as to put together an entire retreat just so we can get together to give thanks?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for co-workers that so wanted to make that time special that they baked, and imported, and worked countless hours ahead of time so we could share a traditional American Thanksgiving meal?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for the opportunity to get to know the staff at a hotel and share what I have with them?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for a hotel staff that so cared about me as to be my guide for a hike up to a volcano or show me around “their town” so that I could love it like they do?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks that my work is so incredibly fun?
  • When was the last time I gave thanks for the One who gave me this job to begin with?

I’m glad to be able to say that “the last time” has been today, but I don’t plan on it being the last time! I hope you too have realized how much you can be thankful for this holiday season.