Friday, January 9, 2009

Get It to Go

One of the perks of living in the big city I’m in right now for language school is that there are lots of things available that you can’t get in other parts of the country. They actually have grocery stores here that look much like those back home, and even a few restaurants you might recognize.]

Over the last couple of months, however, what has amazed me the most is the random assortment of things that are available on the street—things you can buy simply by rolling your window down at any red-light. These items range from the “good idea” category, through the “oh isn’t that funny” category, past the “can you really make a living selling that?” category, and into the “are you kidding me?” category.

Below is a sampling I thought you might enjoy. I’ll let you determine which category each goes in.
  • A 1.5 liter bottle of bubbles
  • Snacks of all sorts—everything from chips to salty fish
  • Inflatable globes on really fancy permanent stands
  • Oil paintings
  • Cigarettes—not a box of them mind you…we’re talking a single cigarette here, folks
  • A traditional dance from a little girl in a creepy mask
  • Maps of nearly every province in the country
  • Water by the glass
  • A complete set of toy cookware
  • Wind-up toy chickens that “peck” as they walk
  • Toy planes
Sometimes I don’t know whether to laugh out loud at the bizarre assortment or break down and cry that there are people that have to learn their living this way. Regardless, I have to smile at their persistence…and their creativity. I mean, where else in the world can you buy food and gifts for the whole family without even pulling into a parking lot?!