Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kids Are All the Same

So I was on my morning run today when I came upon a little boy about 5 years old walking to school with his Mom. Even though I live in the middle of a large city, my route takes me down a little path about the width of a sidewalk that drops off several feet to various garden plots below. Several of them are planted with rice, but there’s also cabbage, cauliflower, etc. It was at this point in my run that I passed the little boy and his mother.

Right as I was about to pass them, the little boy’s face contorted and he looked up at his Mom in desperation and said (translated of course), “It smells like garbage.” To which his Mom promptly replied, “That’s not garbage honey. Those are vegetables!”

The culture here may be way different from the States, but I suppose kids are pretty much the same anywhere. :)