So lately I've been feelin' the Byrds and the Beetles. Yeah, I know I grew up in the woods, but I'm not talking about the animals. I'm talking about the bands. You see, as you can no doubt imagine the last several weeks have been a time of transition--of saying goodbyes and preparing for hellos.
As I was running the other day and I saw the leaves turning colors, it struck me how this is a season of fall in my life in more ways than one. Everything is changing, and some of the things I've enjoyed the last few years are...well, falling away. So I thought of the Byrds. The Author of the lyrics of course being foremost--but the soundtrack in my head is the Byrds, so I thought of them nonetheless:
"To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven"
Now to some of you this may all sound a bit depressing, but it really isn't. Do you remember fall as a kid? Weren't you wide-eyed at the color and surprised that it was somehow hidden in those leaves all the time? Didn't you jump into and play in and throw leaves until you couldn't move for laughing--or was that from choking on "leaf dust"? :)
So I'm realizing that seasons of fall in life aren't the end. It's not the death of the tree--or you. It's simply another chance to be excited, and awed, and amazed at what you are getting to experience right now--in THIS moment. Your roots still go down to the life-giving water. Your family trunk still supports you. Your friends still branch out in all directions and give way to even more fruit later on. All the things that matter are still there. So those seasons of fall are just that: seasons. They come and go and there are winters, springs, and summers in between--all with their own fun and their own glories. Which brings me to the Beetles (with minor changes courtesy of Selah):
"All these places have their moments
With people and friends i still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
But in my life I've loved them all
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and friends that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love You more"
For those of you I'm leaving this fall, know that you are thought of often, that you are loved, and that I eagerly await seeing you again. For those of you who live on the "Far Side," well...get ready. 'Cause here I come! :)