. I was afraid the pump might have burnt up, but I could still feel a trickle of water in the pipe, so I decided that must not be the problem. Since the pump is inside the house, my roommate and I next tried unpluggin it an pluggin it back in-no dice. A quick call to the one number on my speed dial and I was told just to wait until our helper's husband came to drop her off and have him look at it. (In the meantime, we were told to bathe with the 5 gal jugs of drinking water-but don't worry, we both were able to bathe using less than 2 gallons. If you want to know how, you'll just have to come experience it for yourself.)
Disclaimer: Remember that the following conversation took place in a foreign language.
The helper's husband later arrived and checked the well pump. "It's not pumping any water." Yes, I know-but do you know why not? Then he checked the water meter only to say "Well, there's no water flowing through it." Ok...I get that, but that doesn't tell me what the problem is, or what I'm supposed to DO about it. Finally he unearthed our burried water tank and showed me that "all the water is gone." Fascinating-but I still don't know why!
Another phone call to speed dial 1 and I learned that because it's the end of dry season there simply isn't enough water to go around. The city therefore rations the water to different neighborhoods at different times. Apparently the last several days had been someone else's turn and we had used up all the water in our storage tank. The solution: wait until the city switches the water back to our neighborhood. Makes the drought back home not seem as bad, huh? Fortunately, we didn't have to wait but a couple of hours before the water began to flow again. Chalk one up to life's simple pleasures!
Disclaimer: Remember that the following conversation took place in a foreign language.
The helper's husband later arrived and checked the well pump. "It's not pumping any water." Yes, I know-but do you know why not? Then he checked the water meter only to say "Well, there's no water flowing through it." Ok...I get that, but that doesn't tell me what the problem is, or what I'm supposed to DO about it. Finally he unearthed our burried water tank and showed me that "all the water is gone." Fascinating-but I still don't know why!
Another phone call to speed dial 1 and I learned that because it's the end of dry season there simply isn't enough water to go around. The city therefore rations the water to different neighborhoods at different times. Apparently the last several days had been someone else's turn and we had used up all the water in our storage tank. The solution: wait until the city switches the water back to our neighborhood. Makes the drought back home not seem as bad, huh? Fortunately, we didn't have to wait but a couple of hours before the water began to flow again. Chalk one up to life's simple pleasures!